Morning rituals and routine creates a sense of purpose, peace and simplicity in your daily life. It ensures that you feel more equipped to reach your goals and welcome the opportunities and challenges the day may bring. This has been my own experience since starting my home business. Morning routine anchors me in my body and brings me into the here and now before I get distracted by social media or emails.
And although I thrive in a structured environment, structure and routine don’t come all that naturally to me. I imagine that is why intentional living and minimalism appeal so much to me. I have created an effective and gentle routine for myself which I enjoy and look forward to.
1. No snooze. Set alarm for 20 minutes earlier. If this is a problem (as it was for me) learn here about The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins. 5-4-3-2-1 yourself into action. This has probably been the best tool I have ever discovered in the self-development and growth world.
The time is now. Stop hitting the snooze button on your life. ~ Mel Robbins
2. Wake with gratitude. Gratitude interrupts anxiety and instills appreciation for all the small things that truly matter. You can mentally make a gratitude list, or write them down in a gratitude journal. Refrain from getting distracted first thing in the morning by social media and emails. Set a time line until at least 10:00 am.
If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough. ~ Meister Eckhart
3. Set an intention or a theme/central idea for your day or week. Some powerful intention and theme setting ideas: Possibility, productivity, kindness, simplicity, clarity, action, authenticity, balance, courage, creativity, harmony, peace, serenity, joy, love. For example – I choose to see and experience miracles today… or I choose to experience serenity and ease today or ask what action can I take today to create more possibility in this ______ situation today? It provides so much clarity and direction for the day. Much the same way you choose your items of clothing to wear in the morning. Live less out of habit and more out of intent. Make conscious choices about your day before other people’s *unconscious choices make you.
*Unconscious meaning – the part of the mind which is inaccessible to the conscious mind but which affects behaviour and emotions.
4. Get moving. Get into the shower and ready for your day. Do some exercise. Go for a walk. Get out into the garden. Do yoga. Dance. Get moving where your body is. Get anchored in your body and be aware of your body from within. The present moment is where your life is happening.
”The mind likes to jump from one thing to another, dealing with past events and future worries. We are rarely able to do just one thing at a time. So, whenever you notice that you’re all over the place, doing one thing and thinking and feeling something else, stop for a moment. Just gently stop. Let go of the inner narrative. Find your breath and come back to whatever the body is doing.” ~ Tatjana Mesar
5. Get hydrated. Drink water. Your body uses water in all its cells, organs, and tissues to help regulate its temperature and maintain other bodily functions. Warm water with lemon and ginger gives my body an awesome start to the day. See here for all the reasons why water is so important. Many times our bodies are thirsty rather than hungry, so let’s gift our bodies with one of Mother Nature’s miracles.
Have fun with your morning rituals! Let me know in the comments which other morning rituals you already practice and which ones work well for you. I would love to hear from you!